Impeach Prosecute Bush Cheney
Steps you can take for Prosecution
Accountability - it's a Republican thing
Although Bush/Cheney can still be impeached, much of the following is background / of historical interest (especially if you've been living on another planet), but most of the 'evidence for impeachment' is also evidence for prosecution:
Full text of Impeachment Articles (65 pgs) introduced June 9, 2008
Democracy Now! - 7/27/07 - Should Impeachment Be Off the Table? A Debate with Peace Mom Cindy Sheehan, Ex-CIA Analyst Ray McGovern and Democratic Strategist Dan Gerstein
Articles of Impeachment finally introduced against Vice President Richard Cheney
RE Bush's commutation of the sentence of Libby Lewis: In the Virginia convention to adopt the U.S. Constitution, George Mason argued that the President might use his pardoning power to "pardon crimes which were advised by himself" or, before indictment or conviction, "to stop inquiry and prevent detection." James Madison responded: If the President be connected, in any suspicious manner, with any person, and there be grounds to believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him; they can remove him if found guilty...
The countless emails, calls, letters, town hall meetings, street protests, and huge marches have persuaded one courageous Member of Congress to start the impeachment process. That member is Dennis Kucinich, and his Articles of Impeachment are officially known as H.Res. 333. Kucinich believes Cheney should be impeached because he:
- Manipulated intelligence to fabricate a threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction
- Manipulated intelligence to fabricate a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda
- Openly threatened aggression against Iran absent any real threat to the the United States
What you can do:
Support Kucinich's efforts by asking the rest of Congress to co-sponsor these Articles, and by telling the media that you demand impeachment now.
- Ask your Congress Member to support impeachment proceedings against Vice President Cheney.
- Ask members of the House Judiciary Committee and Speaker Nancy Pelosi to help move this forward.
- Tell the media you support Rep. Dennis Kucinich's articles of impeachment.
The above 3 links and much more are at: impeachcheney.org, and here are some other actions to take.
Call, write or email directly:
800 459-1887 should get you to the House of Representatives
William Delahunt (Representative for South Shore, Cape & Islands) IS on the Judiciary Committee
2454 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Fax: (202) 225-5658
Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House (ask her to lead, follow, or get out of the way)
235 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
(firstname.lastname@example.org if you're a constituent)
John Conyers, Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee
2426 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5126 Voice / (202) 225-0072 Fax
August, 2005: Bush was on vacation, riding his bike for two hours on the day before Hurricane Katrina lands. The next day, Bush attended a birthday party for John McCain. The levees began to crack. While emergency 1.5-ton sandbags were ready to be placed to steady the levee, there were insufficient numbers of helicopters and pilots to set them before the levees break. The mayor of New Orleans, pleaded for federal-level assistance but got none. Bush went to San Diego to play guitar with a country singer and end his vacation early - but not until the next day, because he had tickets to a San Diego Padres game.
Tell the Press: It's Time to Poll on Impeachment
After the Downing Street Memos proved George Bush lied about Iraq's WMDs, Democrats.com began lobbying corporate media polling organizations to include impeachment questions in their polls. For two years, those pollsters have contemptuously dismissed our requests. But now that Rep. Dennis Kucinich has introduced Articles of Impeachment for Dick Cheney, it is time for pollsters to include impeachment questions in every poll they take . You can ask them to here.
Ten Reasons to Impeach George Bush and Dick Cheney (as of 4/29/07, over 88,000 sigs).
As of 4/29/07, over 866,000 have signed this referendum, which simply calls upon your representative to impeach President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard B. Cheney, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for high crimes and misdemeanors.
Should Vice President Cheney be impeached? Vote in the National Cheney Impeachment Poll
"The provision of the Constitution giving the war-making power to Congress, was dictated, as I understand it by the follow reasons: Kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars, pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was the object. This, our Convention understood to be the most oppressive of all Kingly oppressions; and they resolved to so frame the Constitution that no one man should hold the power of bringing this oppression upon us." - Abraham Lincoln
And in the states...
If a state resolution passes, by sec. 603 of the Jefferson's Manual the House of Representatives would have to consider the articles of impeachment.
As of 4/29/07, the cities of Amherst, Brookline, Wendell, and Northampton have already approved impeachment resolutions; thirteen Massachusetts towns have an impeachment resolution on their town meeting warrants.
On May 19th, 2007 the Massachusetts Democratic Convention passed (nearly unanimously) a resolution calling for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney.
...and around the nation
Impeachment Rallies were held in 42 States on 4/28/07.
On that same day, the California Democratic Convention overwhelmingly passed a resolution calling for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney.
The Vermont senate previously passed a resolution calling upon congress to impeach Bush and Cheney. Unfortunately, I understand that the Vermont house rejected the senate's proposal. Vermont, Washington, New Mexico, Missouri, Wisconsin, Hawaii, even Texas, have all introduced impeachment resolutions, but not Massachusetts (yet).
Last year there were resolutions in Illinois, California, and Minnesotta.
Other Actions You Can Take
- Donate to Dennis Kucinich to thank him for leading the movement to impeach Vice President Cheney, by introducing H.Res. 333. This easy dual action form can do both Act Blue and mail donations.
- Make a donation to help the People's Email Network run more impeachment ads. They have blog ads running it a dozen of the biggest progressive blogs right now, and are starting to go mainstream.
- HELP COLLECT VOTES FOR THE IMPEACHMENT POLL IN YOUR COMMUNITY - This is easy. Just print out one of the vote gathering sheets for the National Cheney Impeachment Poll where we have already had more that 72,000 votes, 99.22 percent saying Yes to impeach Cheney. Carry one with you in your daily travels and get everyone you can to cast their vote, whether it is yes or no.
- PUT AN IMPEACHMENT ACTION BUTTON, LIKE THE ONE AT LEFT, ON YOUR OWN WEB PAGE OR BLOG - Hundreds of such action buttons are on participants' sites already. If you post a button you will AUTOMATICALLY get a link back to your own site from the action page as our server picks up the hits. Get the code for the buttons.
- CALL UP RADIO SHOWS AND GIVE OUT THE CELL PHONE SHORT CODE, AND AT RALLIES - PEN has fronted the money to set up the capacity to take votes by cell phone. If you are hip to sending text messages you can text "IMPEACH" to 30644 to vote Yes, or "KEEP" to 30644 to vote No (they haven't had any No votes this way yet even though the option is available). Call up progressive shows and talk about the latest Cheney abuses of power, and then ask if you can give out the cell phone voting options. This is also a great thing to do if you are speaking at a rally of any kind.
- EVEN MORE REASONS YOU CAN CITE TO IMPEACH CHENEY NOW - In the face of new revelations of the wholesale dismissal of the Constitution by the Vice President Cheney, "Power Grab" was the headline on the ABC New site. "Defiant" was the headline of the Washington Post. The vice president's office asserts that he is a branch of government unto himself, and not beholden to any other. Links to the stories are at the "Arguments" section here. Congress will NOT defy the voices of millions of us speaking out - but that's what it will take.